[pure-silver] Re: Need some ideas

  • From: "H. Linke" <monochrome@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 16:25:58 +0200 (CEST)

Mark,

these days I am just thinking about also building one for me. As I have a wooden
one in 4x5" I NEED one in 16x20. For me the most easy way will be to take the
measurements of my 4x5 Wista DX and transform and improve them.

I could share the drawings with you if you are able to wait some weeks. MY
beginning will be at the end of July because I don't have any tools except a
milling cutter.

If it all works I want to prepare a handful of 16x20s

regards

horst

On May 13, 2015 at 3:53 PM mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Well been toying with the idea of building my own 4x5 camera for a while.
Always wanted to build a Bender, but they are no longer in business. Never
found a kit that I really wanted to build other than that one, and frankly its
really not what I am looking to build now.

In a real world, its probably going to have to be from plans, but that's ok.
Have most of the woodworking tools necessary to do this, including a lathe,
though my turning skills are bare beginner. Rest I can get by and usually
make most anything I need.

What I am looking to build is a field camera with some movements, at least
front movements. I want a rotating back, 4x5 format, and to use the standard
film holders.

The folding aspect is what is what has me baffled a bit, but it does need to
fold, or at least be easier to carry around than a monorail. Id also consider
it a huge plus for wood to be the primary material of construction. I have
done a bit of metal work, but I am much more skilled working with wood than
metal.

I would appreciate some advise from those that might have done this before.
Anything from plans you have built, what you thought about them, plans you
know about and like or don't like, suppliers you have used that were honest
and reputable, and anything you think might be useful for a total rookie at
camera building.