[pure-silver] Re: NOW: Exposing paper was Re: POP with paper negs?

  • From: DarkroomMagic <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:41:09 +0100

Exploring this further is fun but beyond the scope of the subject of what to
expose for in printing. I suggest 'Eye and Brain' by Richard Gregory from
Princeton Science Library. It will show how human faces are a subject on
their own. A large portion of the brain is dedicated to evaluate faces to
differentiate between 'friend' and 'enemy' in a flash.

Still your example is worth exploring. I suggest to replace the same
portrait with a black background and see the difference. You will see that
the dark background allows the viewer to concentrate on the face better,
because the distraction, light background, is gone.

To see and prove that eyes are attracted to light is simple. Take one of
your pictures and cover it up. Now reveal it to someone who hasn't seen it
before and expose it to them for a very brief time. Ask them what they saw.
Do it again, this time for a bit longer, ask them again. You will be able to
tell where the eyes go first and what gets explored last.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht