[pure-silver] Re: My house is killing my darkroom...

  • From: Bob Younger <ryounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2015 14:07:54 -0700

Adrienne,

You're getting lots of good advice. I'll offer my heartfelt sympathy and
best wishes to get everything resolved. But, it's probably going to cost
you some money. We live in the "country," on a well; with a septic system.
I effectively run my own water and sewage system and have developed quite
the skillset in repairing the multiple pumps and tanks involved. The worst
is running out of water in the middle of a shower.

Bob Younger
San Diego

On Sun, Oct 4, 2015 at 1:51 PM, Nicholas O. Lindan <nolindan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

As mentioned, the rusty water is coming from* your* pipes. You can have
'electrolytic junctions' installed where copper meets iron but they won't
completely stop the problem. Replacing all the iron piping with copper or
plastic will stop it. Sometimes taps and other plumbing fixtures can be
the source of the rust.

The rust builds up in the pipe when there isn't any water flowing to flush
it out. And when you turn the water on all that rust comes out with the
first flush.

Putting a whole house filter in will only deepen your money pit and do
nothing for getting rid of the rust. If the rust was coming from the city
water line then you would have continuous rusty water from all taps in the
house - and it seems you don't.

The cheapest solution is to have flush taps added just ahead of your
filters. Before using the darkroom open the flushing taps until the water
runs clear.

I have a 1919 house with original iron piping that has been repaired over
the years with copper. I'm much too familiar with the rusting pipe problem.

Nicholas Lindan
Darkroom Automation