[pure-silver] Re: My house is killing my darkroom...

  • From: Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2015 09:15:40 -0400

On 10/05/2015 12:47 AM, mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

When one starts working on old plumbing pipe, a word of caution is in
order. You might think you are only going to replace one pipe, and then
you find the one its connected to is just as bad as the one you are
taking out. At some point you are going to have to find good pipe from
which to begin, and that good pipe may be a lot further down and in
places you don't want to go. The good pipe might be behind a wall or
in a crawl space that is hard to get to, so be prepared.

I live in a house that was built in 1950.

At some point, the outside hose bib was dripping, so I decided to
replace the washer. Well, I turned off the shutoff just inside the
house, but it still dripped, so I shut off the main valve to the house,
and it still dripped. I opened up the outside valve and touched the
screw that held the washer and the screw crumbled to bits. I decided to
replace the valve, but I would have to change the washer of the inside
shutoff valve, and I expected the same problem, but the main shutoff
valve would not shut off either. So I called a professional plumber who
shut off the water at the street. (Technically, he was not allowed to do
that; he is supposed to call the water company to do it.) He then
replaced all three valves. This was long ago and cost over $100 for the
"simple" job of changing a washer.

The main valve and the inside shutoff to the hose bib are now ball
valves. Before, they were all globe valves.

/V\ PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B Registered Machine 1935521.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey http://linuxcounter.net
^^-^^ 09:05:01 up 11 days, 20:07, 2 users, load average: 4.23, 4.41, 4.49