[pure-silver] Re: Migration Photo Resources At tundraware.com

  • From: Brian Reynolds <reynolds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 03:51:32 -0400

`Richard Knoppow wrote:

On 8/12/2015 11:19 PM, Brian Smith (Redacted sender smithcbrian2@yahoo for
DMARC) wrote:

Firefox won't connect me to tundraware.com, saying it is an
untrusted site. Should I trust it? Regards - Brian Smith

I did. I told it to make an exception. Its possible this is
something Tim can fix. BTW, Firefox gives me the same hassle
connecting to my bank...

This is because http://www.tundraware.com/ is redirecting to
https://www.tundraware.com/ (note the https which denotes "secure"
http), and www.tundraware.com is using a self-signed security
certificate.

https provides encryption between the web server and the browser.
Besides providing privacy, this should also prove the authenticity of
the web server. To prove this authenticity the web server sends the
browser a security certificate as proof of identity. This certificate
is signed by a certificate authority (CA). The web browser (or the OS
it runs under) has a list of valid CAs to compare this certificate to.

CAs charge money for certificates, so some companies will use
self-signed certificates for their internal purposes, and install
themselves in the list of CAs for computers that they maintain. If a
site is using a self-signed certificate on the public Internet a
remote web browser won't have that site in its list of CAs, and should
at least warn the user.

Both Firefox and Chrome let you override the warning, but you
shouldn't get into the habit of doing that.

--
Brian Reynolds | "It's just like flying a spaceship.
reynolds@xxxxxxxxx | You push some buttons and see