[pure-silver] Re: Matrix Metering and Calibrating

  • From: Nick Zentena <zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 15:29:49 -0400

On September 12, 2004 1:52 pm, Justin F. Knotzke wrote:
>    Hi,
>
>    I have a couple of questions I hope the group can answer. The first
> question maybe a little stupid, mais bon:
>
>    1) Does matrix metering favor colour film? I find my colour prints
> always seem to be exposed better then my B&W. I am starting to think when
> shooting B&W I should spot meter and use more of the zone system. They just
> aren't coming out the way I like them.
>
>    2) How does one go about calibrating a workflow? Is there a way I can
> calibrate my camera/film/development times? I've essentially been going by
> what the camera suggests, what the film manufacturer suggests and what the
> Massive Dev Chart says for a given film and soup.

 Part of using the zone system is to calibrate your film,developer and camera.
It looks like you're using three suggestions. What the film maker suggests
[The ISO film speed] what the dev chart suggests for processing time and what
the camera suggests. The problem is none of those know you and how you work.
If you have Adam's "The Negative" read the section on film tests. Waste a
little film and see if your EI matches what the film maker suggests. See if
your development times match. Maybe somebody can suggest how to do it
without a densitometer. I'm guessing you don't have one.

 Nick