[pure-silver] Re: Matrix Metering and Calibrating

  • From: Ron Schwarz <rs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 14:42:52 -0400

01:52 PM 9/12/2004 -0400, Justin F. Knotzke wrote:

>   Hi,
>
>   I have a couple of questions I hope the group can answer. The first
>question maybe a little stupid, mais bon:
>
>   1) Does matrix metering favor colour film? I find my colour prints always
>seem to be exposed better then my B&W. I am starting to think when shooting
>B&W I should spot meter and use more of the zone system. They just aren't
>coming out the way I like them.

Chromogenic film has beaucoup latitude (esp. toward overexposure).  You can
bracket over several stops, and the prints (machine prints, even) will look
pretty much identical.  This is true for B&W chromogenics as well as color.

Real B&W film OTOH is far less forgiving. I think that if you run some
color slide film through your camera, you'll find that the exposure results
mirror your B&W negative experiences rather than the color print results.

--
         Website: http://www.michi-kogaku.com/