[pure-silver] Re: Kodak Sells Off Its Gelatin Business

  • From: "K W Hart" <kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 17:39:35 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph O'Neil" <joneil@xxxxxxxx>

snip
One other thought, just totally out of left field here, but I remember reading in the past that groups like PETA always had it in for Kodak, Fuji, etc, because of the use of animal based gelatin to make film. Maybe I am completely silly for drawing that connection here, but in the long term, maybe all these things add up. Who knows.

I've heard the PETA ("People for Ethical Treatment of Animals") comment before. Since the gelatin is made from 'farmed' animals- animals raised specifically for food- so I don't have much sympathy. Plus, I grew up on a farm and chased quite a few cows in my younger years. I'd be happy to know that any of those cattle are now a part of my neg files!

I vaguly remember in an online group a photo newbie wanting to know about the animal-to-film connection. This person said they were a vegan and were very uncomfortable using film if it caused the deaths of helpless animals. Apparently they weren't too concerned about the deaths of humans due to the toxins in electronics manufacturing for digital cameras!

Ken Hart
kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxxx