[pure-silver] Kntmere VC? wasRE: Re: finding a new paper

  • From: "Breukel, C. (HKG)" <C.Breukel@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:49:44 +0100

Hi Chris,

Reading your mail I understand that you find Kentmere VC less good than
Ilford VC ?

(kentmere is has a (much) nicer price tag than Ilford here in Holland, I
use Ilford mainly, but once my stock runs low I was considering giving
Kentmere VC (FB) a try. Thusfar I have used Kentmere Kentone 2
occasionally, which is quite nice)

Best,

Cor

Design
> customers, I see a lot of papers from all over the world, (mostly
European
> and occasionally China. IMHO there were only 3 companies that made
good
> variable contrast papers, Agfa, Kodak and Ilford. By good, I'm
referring
> long controllable contrast range, as well as good blacks at soft grade
> settings and most importantly, consistency. I saw evidence of strange
> tonality at soft grades with many other papers, with portions of the
tonal
> range virtually without contrast. I also could see colour shifts
> throughout
> the tonal scale (without toning).
>
> Agfa was my preferred choice, since with one paper I could achieve
subtle
> cool or warm tones and its reaction to Selenium was especially useful
> pictorially. With Agfa and Kodak gone, we are in the hands of Ilford.
> Their
> coating plants are more advanced than others (or so I have been led to
> believe by ex-employees) and you can achieve most things with
Multigrade