[pure-silver] Re: KRST Shelf Life

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 06:27:48 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alparslan Berik" <berika@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2005 5:09 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] KRST Shelf Life

Hello all,

I wonder how long Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner's shelf life is. I remember
reading comments here it is very long. I have a bottle of KRST and I use it
1+20 with Ilford RC .44M multi contrast paper. I used to get beatiful deep
blacks and if left the paper more than 10 minutes in the solution it would
get a nice toning, but not anymore. I prepared a fresh working solution, and
the result is the same. It seems KRST effect has diminished in time. This
happened to my working solution before but I had vever thought that this
would happen to the stock KRST.
I think I bought the bottle 2-3 years ago. Is it normal for such a long
time. Should I dump the rest of the bottle. Thank you for the comments.
Alparslan.

If you mean the concentrate the shelf life is very long, even after opening it. I have some KRST that is at least 10 years old and works as well as some I bought a couple of months ago.
The main problem for high dilutions is being diluted in Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent. This was a Kodak recommendation for a long time, the idea being that the mixture would perform both functions, i.e., toning and washing acceleration, in one step. Additionally, the KHCA acts as a slightly alkaline envrionment for the toner preventing a type of staining that can happen when acid is introduced to the toner. The problem is that the sulfite in the KHCA oxidizes to sulfate fairly soon. As Sulfate really does no harm and continues to be slightly alkaline, but it no longer is very effective as a wash aid. The other problem with using high dilutions, i.e., 1:19 or more, is that the capacity of the bath is limited regardless of what it is diluted with. However a high dilution of KRST in water or in a mild alkali is sill an effective toner after considerable time.
BTW, both my old and the brand new KRST had a little precipitate in the form of black particles in the bottom of the bottle. All the bottles at Freestyle had the same precipitate. This forms when diluted toner is stored for a time and evidently has little or no effect on toning ability.
The test for the toner is whether it tones. If its functions its OK.

---