[pure-silver] Re: KRST

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 07:16:33 -0400

At 12:23 PM 8/18/2007 , >Adrienne wrote:
>I haven't tried using KBT first followed by KRST and don't know what that
>would give me or why it would be better or worse for archival purposes.

August 22, 2007, from Lloyd Erlick,

I've done this. Once I tried all the four combinations of brown toner and
selenium toner:

-each one alone -- we know the effects.
-KRST first followed by brown toner -- the color of KRST result but less
'golden' and slightly more 'brown' than KRST alone.
-brown toner first followed by selenium (KRST) -- appearance of final
result closer to brown toner alone, i.e. the result looks more like brown
toner but moved in the direction of the appearance of KRST.

I used the potassium polysulfide home brew brown toner.

The results were subtle color variations, not dramatic highly obvious ones.
Basically the brown toner first method resulted in slightly lighter and
browner prints, and the KRST first followed by brown toner resulted in
slightly darker, slightly less brown and slightly more golden/maroon prints.

I found the odor of hydrogen sulfide very hard to bear when I stupidly used
the brown toner in my darkroom. That is an outdoor activity. It'll fog
photosensitive materials, too, so doing it in my darkroom was dumb.

Personally, I find the final result from selenium toner much more
attractive than from brown toner. I'm a portraitist and I like the quality
selenium gives skin tones. There is a golden quality to the brown tone from
selenium which seems to signify health. Also, the tone from selenium seems
much more complex, revealing different color qualities depending on how the
print is illuminated, and the angle at which the toned print is viewed by
the eye.

I don't have exactly precise color perception, so I try not to give
absolute commentary on color. I've "calibrated" my color perception by
asking female viewers for feedback on the color of my final prints when I
do these little experiments (females are extremely rarely color defective,
while ten per cent of males have some degree of color defectiveness. Note
that color blindness is a different animal, and a much more serious one,
because it is often associated with other more serious problems).

Rather than accept my odd color descriptions it would be interesting for
anyone to do the various combinations. Brown toner is cheap and easy to
make; just use it outdoors or under strong ventilation.

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
website: www.heylloyd.com