[pure-silver] Re: Ilford buys Kentmere

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:51:41 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ole Tjugen" <ole@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 2:59 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Ilford buys Kentmere

From what has been disclosed on apug.org, Kentmere will survive as an independent name as will all their products. With this purchase, Harman Technologies (Ilford) have purchased an intermediate coating line lending itself to smaller runs of special products, while kentmere on their side have merged with a major player in the B&W photography field - complete with an International Marketing Division.

"All Kentmere products" should be read as "everything Kentmere was producing at the time of aquisition"; so discontinued products will remain discontinued. So will the "third party products", which as far as I know included a repackaged ilford FP4+...

So all in all it's not salvation, but it might be survival. Since Ilford/Harman will also be producing Bergger papers, it seems to me that they are aquiring the "small players" in the field in order to make a larger unity which can better negotiate with suppliers. After all - a few years ago Ilford was a small player, ordering 10 kg of some chemical on the coattails of AGFa's 10 tonnes order. Now they are the largest buyer of that chemical in Europe, and have to hold enough sensitizer dye for the next 40 years in stock! Consolidating makes sense. You may not like it, and I certainly don't like it; but in the current situation there is no other option.

--

Ole Tjugen

Ilford also posseses advanced, modern technology which it evidently will make available to Kentmere and other lines it will now produce. Probably Kodak had the most advanced technology but Kodak decided not to continue in the B&W paper business and, I suspect, will discontinue film when the motion picture industry stops using it. Agfa just quit so, the only other company with any know-how is Fuji who doesn't seem interested in making its B&W paper products available outside of Japan. I use quite a bit of Kentmere paper. Its good stuff but may become even better under the agis of Ilford. Nonetheless, its still business and no charity will happen. IMO the market for non-digital B&W, and probably color products has stabilized to a great extent. The market remains large compared to those for most products but shrunk substantially from its former enormous size which was needed to support giant companies like Kodak and Agfa. The continued use of film in the motion picture industry is iffy, at least for release printing, which accounts for the bulk of the film it uses.

---