[pure-silver] Re: Ilford Liquid Fixers

  • From: "Joseph O'Neil" <joneil@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:36:47 -0400

At 10:49 AM 6/21/2005, you wrote:

I'm not absolutely certain but seem to remember that Hypam started as just a name change of 'Rapid Fixer' for the European market. In any event, is has no hardener in it.

-snip-

I use and have used both Ilford Rapid Fixer and Hypam here in Canada, and to me, they look and act identical. Confirm they have no hardener. That's exactly why I use it.

I dunno why - maybe it's just bad ju-ju hanging over my house - but I has always, always had a terrrible problem with dust spots whenever i use a hardening fixer. Doesn't matter what brand of B&W film I use, what speed, or even what format - 35mm, 120 or 4x5 - if I use a hardening fixer, dust spots embedded almost right into the emulsion.

Stopped using hardening fixer for anything and everything some years ago, voila, dust problem disappears. I even tried different brands of hardening fixer, problem comes back. Tried using tap water, well water, distilled water to mix my hardening fixer, had that darned dust problem. Use any old water I like with non-hardening fixer, no dust problem.

Even tried drying my film in the bathrrom after running the shower to get al the dust particles out of the air. Built my darkroom with a completely sealed vapour barrier. Bought those air ionizers, dust filters, etc, etc. Anything with a hardening fixer - dust problems. No hardening, no dust problems.

There's a quote/line from the TV show Babylon 5 I always liked, works for this situation, and it goes (from memory here):

"It's one of those mysteries meant never to be solved, or for which the explaination would surely drive you insane."

:)
joe