[pure-silver] Re: Ilfochrome

  • From: "Ken Hart1" <kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 13:11:01 -0500

RA-4 (color prints from negatives) is likely to be around for a while. There is a large established base of major users: WalMart and most drug store chains. The process is not difficult. In my opinion, the toughest part is the actual processing, and if you pick up a roller-transport machine, that makes it easy: insert the exposed paper, and in about 3-5minutes, out comes a dry finished print. I've never used tube type processing, but I understand that if you have multiple tubes/tanks, it's also pretty easy. I use Trebla brand chemicals- they are cheaper than Kodak, they keep longer, and are not hazmat. They are not available in small quantities; minimum is concentrate to make 25 gallons, but you can mix partial quantities.

Printing isn't difficult either, if you have a set of viewing filters. Make a test print just like in B&W printing and determine the exposure time. Once you have the correct density, then (and only then!) you adjust the color. Usually, my second test print gives me the correct exposure and color balance.

BTW, I'm looking to replace my processor. If anyone knows of an available 30" wide (minimum) roller transport processor, preferably close to SW Indiana, please let me know!

Also, if anyone wants to discuss/ask questions about RA4, I'd be glad to respond.

Ken Hart
kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Snoopy,

After many years of B&W only printing, I made my first color prints this year. Very satisfying and easier than expected. I found much good advice on the APUG Color forum.

I think there used to be a companion list (called Chroma?) to pure-silver for color work, but I never subscribed and think it may be defunct.

--Ben