[pure-silver] Re: Ilfochrome

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 19:57:05 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "ERoustom" <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2008 7:51 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Ilfochrome

Hello Pure Silver List,

I have a B&W darkroom with a condensing enlarger and I'm wondering if I might be able to print Ilfochromes without having to buy more stuff!? How difficult is the Ilfochrome process? Is it practical in a basic B&W darkroom? A year and a half of black and white, and I'm starting to crave color. I might end up with an ink jet... but I'd rather find an analogue process.

Thanks,

Elias

Ilfochrome, AKA Cibachrome, is pretty simple although it can become more complicated if you want maximum quality. I will leave it to others to detail the process but I think you mainly need color correcting filters for the enlarger. While you _can_ process Ilfochrome in trays its better to use drums. Because the image on color film is made up of semi-transparent dye particals of very small size there is no significant difference in image contast between a diffusion and condenser light source. A diffusion source tends to suppress film blemishes a little.

---