[pure-silver] Re: I think I'm in love

  • From: "Gene Johnson" <genej2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 11:30:29 -0700

I've been doing 4x5 a lot more lately and I largely agree with Ralph in that
it's hard to see a big difference from my Rolleiflex at 11x14.I bet I would
at 16x20 though.  And definitely with the faster films. At normal print
sizes, the 2 1/4 to 4x5 jump is not near as big as the 35 (24) mm to 2 1/4
jump. I'm doing it to get comfortable with the whole thing, and because If I
get something I really like, I want to get it on large film. No way to get
good with something other than just doing it. That said, as an art weapon,
4x5 is awesome in it's flexibility.  My Horseman now has a cool little box
adaptor gadget on the front that lets me use any number of odd (and cheap)
barrel lenses.  I also like that I can use film for it's speed and/or
character without worrying about grain (hate grain). I also now spend more
time on each (larger) negative, hopefully ending up with fewer but better
negs, which is the direction I'm trying to go in.

You're right.  It's fun.  Best reason of all.

Gene