[pure-silver] Re: I GUESS NOT was ANYONE TRY THIS SILLY IDEA?

  • From: titrisol <titrisol@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 05:14:01 -0700 (PDT)

I thought the parasite light at the shut-off and the long warm-up times were
the biggest problem.

>________________________________

not one reply.  I guess no one has either tried it or thought it worth
trying.
>                        CHEERS!
>                                    BOB
>

>________________________________

PM
>To: ' pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx '
>Subject: ANYONE TRY THIS SILLY
IDEA?

>DEAR
LIST,

Has anyone ever tried using a “watt saver” fluorescent bulb in
their enlargers?  The issues and considerations:

>1)    Why bother?  To allow all the advantages of efficiency
and less heat (no negative popping etc) while using your condenser
lenses…for those who like condenser enlargers.  Commercially
available cold light heads are predominantly diffusion sources.
>2)    All fluorescent bulbs are “hybrid” i.e., a blend
of line spectrum and continuous spectrum.  Sure, but then again, so are
all cold light heads!
>3)    Color?  Watt savers are available in the usual cool
white and also a warmer color.  I own both.  Again, with hybrid
spectra, one never knows what it will be.
>4)    The color spectrum will be less of an issue with graded paper
than with VC/Multigrade paper.
>5)    Most watt savers are spiral tubes and may very well cause
unevenness on the paper plane.  True, but I have some that are in the
usual frosted envelope.  They are not as perfect as the “opal”
frosting of enlarger bulbs.  Yes, I know that condenser lenses focus the
light source into the entrance pupil of the enlarging lens and the enlarging
lens focuses the negative onto the easel.  But I wonder if the frosted
bulbs will be even enough.  Hmmm.

>This may all be fanciful speculation but then again, who
know…

CHEERS!

BOB
>PS:
Just so you know, I swear by my cold light diffuse source.  I am just
curious about the idea above.

> Please check my website: http://www.bobkiss.com/
>
>"Live
as if you are going to die tomorrow.  Learn as if you are going to live
forever".  Mahatma Gandhi