[pure-silver] Re: Hydroquinone - would you like fries with that?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 18:37:37 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Brick" <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2011 8:45 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Hydroquinone - would you like fries with that?

You are correct (as usual) Richard, Metol is used with OPD thus putting OPD in the role of a solvent, even though these formulas usually use a large amount of sodium sulfite (?). Some references list OPD as a reducing agent but I suspect that if it exhibits this trait, it is only in combination with other chemicals, such as Metol. Not remotely being an expert, I just repeat what I read and what you (Richard) write... :-)

Jim Brick
Sunnyvale, CA
http://www.photomojo.org/vip.swf

The three forms are ortho, meta, and para. This describes where the amino groups are attached to the benzine ring of the compound. My mememory is that both para and meta can be active reducing agents but not ortho. I think this is true of all hetrocyclic benzine compounds.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL