[pure-silver] Re: Fotospeed lith paper problems

  • From: "Tim Rudman" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 08:57:27 +0100

Dear Rob
I have used a lot of Fotospeed Lith paper and dev over the years and we
always use lots of it in my workshops too (along with other papers). I have
never seen it pepper fog but it can have a gritty textured look in the
darker tones. All lithable papers have their own characteristics in lith
developer; Kentona and Fomatone are smoother with regard to image texture
and tonality. Some of the other Kentmere papers are more grainy, Fotospeed
is somewhere in between. This gritty look is partly dependant on
concentration, so try doubling up on dilution if you don't like it. Also,
earlier snatching will reduce this effect, later snatching tends to increase
it, so as always with lith some images are more suited to some papers - and
your vision of the intended end product of course.
In my Phot Formulary workshops in the US I always try to get a range of
papers for people to try and Fotospeed Lith is always very popular.

Over the years I have seen infrequent changes in lith response at times. I
don't know of any recent change but I have just received some new 20x16
boxes, which I will be printing on shortly and so I will find out (but
hopefully no surprises).

Best wishes
Tim