[pure-silver] Re: Finally, A Camera Worthy Of Digital...

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 10:03:17 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jean-David Beyer" <jeandavid8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 09, 2010 9:33 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Finally, A Camera Worthy Of Digital...

babaphoto@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Steel wool as a recovery media? What the heck, I'll give it a try.
Thanks, baba

I would be careful of that. It must be clean and oil-free, and unoxidized (i.e., recently made), contain no soap, ... . Once wet with fixer, it must be kept wet. Kodak has a description of their cartridge
system and required accessories, test papers, etc.

Its possible to get plain steel wool, no soap, at hardware stores. Its used for wood finishing and other purposes. I think it may have some oil on it. I suspect treating it with some detergent would remove the oil. I wonder if soaking it in a solution of something like Barkeeper's Friend or Zud and washing it would remove most oxidation. Both of these products have oxalic acid in them. In any case the trick of using steel wool to collect the silver from hypo is well known. One can also silver plate clean copper pennies in it. Electrolytic recovery is widely used in large labs, particularly motion picture labs, where it is used to regenerate the hypo, which can be used again. In fact, I think it may be used on a continuous bases. In color processing nearly all the silver used in the emulsion winds up in the bleach-fix bath and can be recovered. For a large lab the recovered silver can be quite valuable.