[pure-silver] Re: Developing Portra and Kodachrome in B+W chemistry

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 16:30:27 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bogdan Karasek" <BKarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2012 2:49 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Developing Portra and Kodachrome in B+W chemistry

Hello,

I was doing inventory in my freezer and found a 35mm roll of Kodachrome 64. I keep fantasizing this is the last roll of Kodachrome left in the world. But I am sure there are others who still have KC hidden in the deep recesses of a fridge somewhere. Be that as it may, I read in passing, on Apug, I think, that KC can be developed in B+W chemistry. Any truth to the idea, and if so, what would be the best brew?

Last week, I was also given 4 4x5 sheet film holders loaded with Porta 100. I'm not into colour but B+W. Anyway, can the Portra also be done in B+W chemistry? By the way, the holders were accompanied by a Graphic View I in its case and an Ektar 203/7.7 lens mounted on the lens board.

Cheers,
Bogdan

The Graphic View I is a decent little camera. The main difference between it and the later II is having base rather than center tilts and I think the II has longer bellows draw. The Ektar 203mm, f/7.7 is an excellent lens of the dyalite type similar in construction to the Goerz Dogmar. It is the only one of the old 70 series Kodak Anastigmats to be continued. The difference between it and the No.70 K.A. is that its coated. It has excellent color correction. It was curiously enough an economy model where one wanted a good performing lens cheaper than the 8-1.2", f/6.3 Commercial Ektar. Kodachrome film is essentially B&W film and will develop in something like D-76. However, it has a yellow filter layer which is made of colloidal silver. This is normally bleached out when the silver image is bleached out after the final reversal development. It can not be bleached out without also bleaching the image. I think any toner which would protect the silver image from bleach would also tone the filter layer. You could get around this by making dupe negatives on panchromatic film. When panchromatic B&W paper was available it worked perfectly for color films despite the dye images and would have worked OK for Kodachrome as B&W. It is just possible that because the silver in the filter layer is so fine that a very mild bleach such as film strength rapid fixer with about 15 grams per liter of citric acid added would bleach it without affecting the silver image too much. One would have to experiment. This is an effective bleach for dichroic fog, which is also colloidal silver although on the surface of the film rather than under an image layer as is the filter in Kodachrome.

Kodak Portra is a color negative film. All modern color negative films have a built-in color correction system based on self masking using colored couplers. This accounts for the amber overall color the film has. In fact, its not overall and if one looks at the image closely one can see the amber is not there in some parts. The color comes from the coupler, or dye intermediate, that is, the substance which becomes dye during development. A Kodak researcher (name gone but will come back as soon as I send this) found that if the coupler was made in a color that absorbed the unwanted transmission of the dye but changed color as it became dye, an automatic mask would be produced to correct the color. There are masks in to layers of negative film and together, when the coupler is undeveloped as in a clear area of the film, the produce the familiar amber color. Since this is a dye it can be bleached out where the image is silver but I have forgotten which bleach will destroy it without also removing the silver image. I suspect a permanganate stain remover may work. In any case, even if the silver image is bleached it can be re-developed. Since Portra is currently in production and processing is still available I wonder about the utility of processing it to B&W.