[pure-silver] Re: Darkroom tray setup

  • From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 10:28:53 -0500

This is my method also. Except that I only have four trays at first: dev, stop, fix1, water. At the end of the printing session I make a new batch of fix and refix all the prints. Then I do hypo clear and wash. I usually don't tone anything.

So for me room for four trays is enough.

--shannon

On Jun 3, 2008, at 8:59 AM, Sauerwald Mark wrote:

I usually set up dev, stop, fix1, fix2, water bath.

I then print a batch, could be a large batch, and then clean up that set of trays, and go to another set:

Hypo clear, wash (archival washer), toner, water bath.

And then finally run everything trough the archival washer one more time before it goes into the dryer (I use a drum dryer for fiber).

End result is that I only have a max of 4 trays set up at once (which will fit in my sink for up to 16x20), and a total of 6 trays for each size. When I do 20x24 which is the largest that I can do in my darkroom, I have to start stacking trays, which makes life much harder.

I use a Zone VI holding bath which keeps fresh water circulating over my prints for the water bath, and a vertical slot archival washer for the two wash steps - these two things sit in a second 'sink'