[pure-silver] Re: Darkroom Chemistry... Question

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 12:22:50 -0500

Hello,

Thanks for the answer. I looked on ebay and there a chem distributor not 10minutes from Montréal and I can get 2lbs of NaOH. I also found out that LYE is NaOH. LYE used to be sold under the RED DEVIL label but no longer. Is there any other label? What would be the best place for finding LYE, pharmacy, supermarket, hardware store ????

I also found a small pill container in the back of my chem locker containing NaOH which originally came in pellet form but about half of it has turned to liquid. Is this still useable? If so, many ml of the liquid NaOH to get the equivalent of 1.5g of pellets?

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Bogdan

On 03/03/2015 11:09 AM, Chauncey Walden wrote:

The question is how many grams of Sodium Tetraborate should I add to get
the equivalent of 10 grams of Sodium Metaborate?

I Googled it and got this:
Only if you add Sodium Hydroxide as well. 10g Sodium Metaborate can be substituted by 7g Borax (sodium Tetraborate) and 1.5g Sodium Hydroxide, that's the recommendation from Kodak in a Databook for DK50