[pure-silver] Re: Darkroom Chemistry... Question

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 22:33:47 -0800

On 3/2/2015 3:31 PM, Bogdan Karasek wrote:
Hello,

I'm turning to the Pure Silver group as I can't find the answer on the Internet and it's been over 50 years since I did my high school Chemistry.

I decided to switch to an all alkaline based procedure for developing my film and as a fixer, I am using the TF-2 formula as presented in the "DARKROOM COOKBOOK".

To make 1L of TF-2, the formula calls for the addition of 10 grams of Sodium Metaborate (Kodak Balanced Alkali). I'm starting to run low on the Kodak balanced Alkali and have read that I can replace it with Sodium Tetraborate (Twenty Mule Team Borax, 99.5% pure).

The question is how many grams of Sodium Tetraborate should I add to get the equivalent of 10 grams of Sodium Metaborate?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Bogdan K.

As Brian says a mixture of sodium hydroxide and borax in solution becomes the equivalent of Kodalk or sodium metaborate. However, its not necessary to add any alkali to fixing baths. Fixer works regardless of pH. The common acid fixing bath has the acid for two purposes: 1, to stop development and prevent the developer from being active in the fixing bath; 2, to activate the metallic hardeners used in most fixing baths, usually white alum or potassium aluminum sulfate to give it its proper name. If you do not use a hardener you don't need the acid providing you wash out the developer in a good water rinse before fixing and have enough sodium sulfite in the fixing bath to prevent staining from whatever developer is left. If no acid is added to a fixing bath about 5 grams per liter of sulfite is enough although more won't hurt. The usual acid bath has about 15 grams per liter to preven the acid from decomposing the thiosulfate.
One reason given for using an alkaline fixing bath is that it makes washing faster. Actually, if a sulfite wash aid like the now discontinued Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent or its equivalent Ilford wash aid, is used the pH of the fixing bath will have no effect on wash rate. Hypo Clearing Agent as made by Kodak and presumably also the stuff from Ilford is neutral pH. This serves two purposes: 1, it leaves the emulsion in a neutral state which eliminates the ionic binding of thiosulfate and its reaction products to the gelatin due to its ionic charge. Gelatin is neither acid or alkaline but is amphoretic, that is it takes the state of the last bath it was in. When that bath is neutral the gelatin is neutral. Gelatin has a however does have a sort of preferred state called the isoelectric point. For most photographic gelatin this is slightly on the acid side of neutral. When its neutral its on the alkaline side and the ionic charges are such that they _repel_ the thiosulfate and reaction product ions where when its more acid, as is the case with an acid fixing bath, it attracts them. The neutral pH also breaks the binding forces of the alum hardener where its used. Any alkaline bath will do so but if more alkaline than about neutral will also undo the cross-linking of the hardener. This is, of course, of no significance if no hardener is used. Sulfite also has another property which most other alkaline agents do not have, namely its an ion exchange agent for the thiosulfate and its reaction products so it very much accelerates washing action. This ion exchange feature is effective whether a hardener is used or not. The washing rate when a neutralized sulfite bath is used is the same regardless of whether the fixing bath is acid or alkaline and wash rate is faster than if an all alkaline process is used because of the ion exchange property. I have to look up the formula for wash aid because I am drawing a blank on it right now but its sodium sulfite neutralized with sodium metabisulfite, the Kodak version has two sequestering agents in it mostly to prevent sludging from aluminum products from alum harderners and also to sequester minerals in the wash water. Wash aid is very effective for emulsions but less so for untreated paper support and somewhat less for the Baryta layer which is used on "fiber" paper. However, Kodak's recommendation of three minutes treatment after a rinse and before washing will pull the residual thiosulfate and reaction products in double-weight paper to archival levels. Note that the sulfite will also make some otherwise insoluble reaction products soluble so will somewhat extend the working life of fixing baths. I have citations to the research papers from Kodak Research Labs and the patents but it will take me some time to find them due to breaking in a new computer.

WB6KBL