[pure-silver] DS-10/HP5 curves and questions

  • From: Craig Schroeder <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 11:10:41 -0500

 I used Ryuji's DS-10 with good initial success last year and kind of got
away from it when I began experiments with some concentrate projects.   I
wasfalling back on the DS-10 when doing things I didn't dare leave to my
experimental things.  Just recently, I ran some DS-10/HP5+ tests for
plottingcurves (which I hadn't bothered with previously).   Both rolls
(separate development) exhibited a slight flat spot around Zone 7-8 and I
hada slightly longer toe than ideal.   By replotting my  EI speeds, it
appears that I would need to rate it  at 160 and back off just slightly on
development.  I used 11 minutes at 1:0, 68&ordm;F with 2 inversions/minute.
Does this square with what others are getting?   I was surprised at these
results because my negatives at 320 printed quite well with only a slight
wish for more shadow detail.  I tend to caution on the over-exposure side of
decisions so I was likely exposing slightly slower than the 320, though.
I'll mix up a new batch and rerun my tests as I noticed a very, very slight
dusting of chemical that hadn't gone into solution and I hadn't seen this
behavior before.  I mix my DS-10 in distilled water.

Has anyone tried any BZT or KBr with DS-10?  On the 35mm film I was testing
with, I measured more fogging than I would like.  I know I could answer all
of this by just trying it but I'd like to save repeating others' trials if I
can.