[pure-silver] Re: DS-10/HP5 curves and questions

  • From: Craig Schroeder <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 20:54:02 -0500

Richard Knoppow wrote: How are you making the test exposures for your
sensitometric curves?
I've been taking individual frames of a Kodak gray card and also have a
Stouffer reflective zone scale that is just the right size and mounted
acrossone end of the card.  I measure the card on-center in each frame on a
Macbeth TD-902 (calibrated).  I also have a german Wallner projection
densitometer that is part of my Labex/Wallner modular darkroom
meter/timer/analyzer system.  These agree within .02 whenever I've checked
and then I can also review the zone chart when it's projected.  I've got a
shutter tester and know that the shutter speeds I'm using in combination
withmy typical &#402;stop/shutter speed combos are accurate.  I'm getting
less confident about my little jimmy-rigged system recently after this
episode and a couple of others.  I think I was better off without so much
data!  Do you see potential issues in what I'm doing?

I just bought a Bowens Illumitran slide copier rig and have heard that their
light source is very consistent and repeatable.  I thought I'd try
calibrating to a projection step wedge and see if I can prove it to be
consistent.  I could then just include one (or a few, if needed) frames in a
roll to verify or test combinations.  Kind of a poor-man's sensitometer.  Do
you think this might work?