[pure-silver] Re: D2 filters update

  • From: Mark Blackwell <mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 15:01:36 -0800 (PST)

LOL Well I do ride a bike.   The other poster that had an explanation that sort
of makes sense to those that don't understand the physics.  Its about what we
were saying all along.  Still this will get me by till I can deal with the
others.

Now I can cut the filters for length and width to fit, but I can't alter the
thickness.  Thats the real question.  Just how much thicker are the dichoric
filters compared to what they designed the unit for and would the added
thickness keep the wheels from turning normally?

What would really be the ultimate in frustration is to take the thing apart,
put new filters in it, take maybe two days of work to do it, get it all back
together and find out it won't move like it should because the filters are waay
too thick.

Thanks again to everyone.

"Nicholas O. Lindan" <nolindan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > called me a name

OK, you are homocentric bipedalist!

> The contrast filters I have used in the past are
> those Ilford 6x6 gels.  Those are nothing more
> than plastic.  When you project through them

Different filters are used under the lens:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/24675-REG/Ilford_1762617_Multigrade_Filter_Set_with.html

> That has to take some of the quality out

Gelatine filters take no quality out.  Glass
camera filters introduce more distortion...

> I know its done by many

Cut up 6x6 acetates into 9 2x2 acetates for under
lens use?  Yes, it is a common trick - and at $70
for a set of under-lens Vs $45/9 = $5 a set for acetates.
Look through the filter at a very low angle to see
if it has any ripples, most don't but some do.
If the filter is flat you are OK.

==
Nicholas O. Lindan
Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC