[pure-silver] Re: Cokin Gradual filter

  • From: "EJ Neilsen" <ej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 13:05:34 -0500

After I read his response to you that became obvious, or maybe not. I took
it to read dodge in the final print. And still dodge is to lighten, if I
wanted to "dodge" a red shirt, I'd shoot with a red filter perhaps. I
suppose if one asked, "I'd like to add some drama to my sky, what would you
do?", there would be less confusion as to where to start the conversation.
If someone wanted to mimick an old neg, they may indeed want to dodge or
blow out the sky.

I do not recall hearing anyone refer to dodge unless we are working in the
darkroom, either real or virtual. In the field, I would talk in terms of out
come, the visualization of the print. I don't go to my filters thinking
negative affect, I go to them thinking printing effect. This same process
goes into shooting color. I would never think, I am going to need a really
yellow based neg if I want to have a blue sky, I'd grab my blue filter, 1/2
ND filter or polarizing filter; not my yellow negative filter : )

Eric

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street, Suite 9
Dallas, TX 75226