[pure-silver] Re: Cleaning picture frame glass

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:26:16 -0400 (EDT)

From: "Ralph W. Lambrecht" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Cleaning picture frame glass
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 23:27:09 +0200

> I agree. Here is a list of the materials used:
>
> 0. Fome-Cor backing board
> 1. Colormount 100% cotton rag-board
> 2. Seal Colormount dry-mounting tissue
> 3. Ilford MG-IV FB or Kodak PolymaxII RC
> 4. Typical processing-chemical residue, still in the print fibers
> 5. The glass cleaner
>
> My guess is now on 3 and some 4, because the MG-IV FB showed far less (but
> still some) than PolymaxII RC.

With this many factors in the framing, it's hard to make any
reasonable guess as to what is responsible for the fog.

Regarding the polymer theory, I don't believe it. Polyethylene and
polypropylene are too stable and large to somehow evaporate and adsorb
on glass surface. Smaller molecules that like to aggregate are more
likely.