[pure-silver] Re: Cleaning Drying Screens

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:54:25 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Adrienne Moumin" <photowonder2010@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 9:01 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Cleaning Drying Screens

I think I'm going to go w/the dishwashing detergent + water mix for my plastic screens.

I would love to air dry the prints if I only had the space! I have room to dry 32-11x14's on the racks, but only one hanging. I have a teeny film-drying cabinet because when I built the room I thought print drying space was more necessary.

I know all the books say to dry FB w/the emulsion side down, but it just seems like asking for trouble...so I bought a used dry mount press on ebay to deal w/the curl.

Thanks!

-Adrienne

I just re-read the instructions on the Sistan box. They seem to be concerned with excessive concentration in the emulsion or spots of excessive concentration caused by water droplets on the surface. I think if you are squeegeeing the prints and drying face up on the screens that even rinsing them is a moot point. The sistan that is active is whatever soaks into the emulsion during treatment. Perhaps what soaks into the support serves as some sort of resevoir but that not proven.
Its probably good practice to rinse the screens in warm water occasionally or to spong them off wtih water with some dishwashing detergent in it and then rinse. IMO if you are drying with the base side against the screens this is a non-problem.

---