[pure-silver] Re: Cleaning Drying Screens

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:19:23 -0400

At 10:15 PM 6/19/2005 , Richard Knoppow wrote:

... I've tried drying fiber prints
>by hanging them with light weights at the bottom, like film,
>and it works pretty well.
>
>---
>Richard Knoppow
>Los Angeles, CA, USA
>dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

jun2005 from Lloyd Erlick,

That's how I've been drying my FB prints for years. I gave away my screens.
The filthy things took up six cubic feet!

I hang my prints in a dust free place, same as for negatives. I squirt
distilled water down both surfaces of the print once it is hanging, and
walk away.

I've experimented with weights at the bottom, and found they are not
strictly necessary. Small prints, up to 11x14, need only be hung by one
corner. They dry nicely, in a single smooth curve, with no bottom wight.
Larger prints, such as 16x20 and 20x24, must be hung by two top corners.
They dry with a long smooth curve along the vertical edges. Bottom weights
change the way the curve goes, but they are not necessarily an improvement.

Of course all this varies from paper to paper, but all the ones I've tried
work in some variation of my basic observations. Relative humidity in the
drying area is crucial. It must be monitored and controlled. An excessively
dry atmosphere changes the way hanging paper dries. I think hanging to dry
is the best method for FB materials.

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.