[pure-silver] Re: Cleaning Brown Bottles

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 23:51:22 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Daneliuk" <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 11:46 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Cleaning Brown Bottles

Someone gave me several nice old Kodak brown glass bottles. One of them was crudded up beyond use, but the others are almost usable. I say "almost" because there is some residue on the inside that will not come off with repeated hot water/soap/rise cycles. (I believe they may once have held D-76.) The bottle opening is, perhaps about 20mm but the bottle diameter is probably around 80mm. This means it's kind of difficult to get into the bottle to scrub it
out in any reasonable manner.

Any ideas out there of how to get the residue out of these bottles
or should I just toss them into the garbage?
--

   I already suggested BB shot.
FWIW, Kodak tray cleaner is a standard chromic acid glass cleaner

Kodak TC-1
Water.............................1.0 liter
Potassium dichromate.............90.0 grams
Sulfuric acid, concentrated......90.0 ml

Use full strength. Swirl this around in the vessel, then pour out and rinse well. The solution can be re-used many times. This is not strong enough to cause immediate burns but should be kept off the hands.

Kodak TC-3 Tray and hand cleaner

Solution A
Water........................1.0 liter
Potassium permanganate.......2.0 grams
Sulfuric acid, concentrated..4.0 ml

Store solution in a stoppered glass bottle away from the light.

Solution B
Sodium bisulfite.............30.0 grams
Sodium sulfite, desiccated...30.0 grams

The solutions A and B can be used for cleaning several vessels but should be discarded after use. An acid fixing bath may be used in place of Solution B but it is important to wash thoroughly to eliminate hypo from the tray or hands.

Cleaning Trays: To remove stains due to silver, silver sulfide, and many dyes, pour a small quantity of Solution A into the vessel and allow to remain for a few minutes; rinse well and then replace with a similar volume of Solution B. Agitate so as to clear the brown stain completely, they wash thoroughly.

Cleaning Hands: to clean stains from the nails and skin remove rings from the fingers and dip the hands in Solution A contained in a glass or other suitable vessel, gently rubbing the stained areas. Rinse briefly in running water and immerse in Solution B to remove the brown color; then wash thoroughly, preferably in warm water.

From: The 1951 edition of the _Kodak Reference Handbook_