[pure-silver] Re: Cleaning Brown Bottles

  • From: "Kurt J. Griffin" <kjg@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 19:46:56 -0700

Title: [pure-silver] Re: Cleaning Brown Bottles
The classic cleaner for chemistry glassware is hot chromic acid mixed in concentrated sulfuric acid.  This tends to oxidize most things to where they come off the glass more easily.  We used to use this routinely to get the glassware spotless.  It will remove flesh just as well as whatever the scum was in the glassware, though.  Due to the caustic, toxic, and potentially carcinogenic nature, this not used as frequently as it once was.  Disposing of it is also a real challenge.

A Cr-free substitute oxidizing agent is Nochromix (http://godax.com/)  The googles come up with a variety of other replacements, mostly detergent-based, e.g.:  http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~safety/safety/Biosafety/BioSOP/CrAcid.pdf

Happy cleaning!

--Kurt

My first reaction would be to fill the bottle up with vinegar and let it set at least over night.    Stronger acids are also a possibility, but I don't need to remind Tim about ventilation.  Strong mixes of everyday stop bath might be easier, work faster and you already have it on hand.  Back in the day when I played french horn, we cleaned the valves with muriatic acid by dipping the valves in it and it did a great job of eating off the crud without eating the metal of the inside of the valves with the tolerances were EXTREMELY tight.

Since you don't know what it is for sure, no one can be sure what will be released no matter what you try.  For every one in this situation just assume its bad and take precautions.
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Cleaning Brown Bottles
From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, January 11, 2012 1:13 pm
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

DEAR TIM
     I think Richard is the one to answer this Q but I would guess that
you might try one of those tray cleaning formulae.
            CHEERS!
                BOB