[pure-silver] Re: Borax

  • From: Gerald Koch <gerald.koch@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 10:44:22 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Bob,

The name borax used by itself was never a trade name.  The name is derived from
the Arabic boraq and appears in the writings of alchemists of the early middle
ages.

You will find the word borax (common name for sodium tetraborate) associated
with terms such as anhydrous and other hydration states all over the chemical
literature.  It's use is not restricted to only the decahydrate.  However as I
mentioned if no hydration state is mentioned the convention is to assume the
most stable form of any chemical.

BTW, there is also a pentahydrate.

Jerry