[pure-silver] Re: Books on lighting techniques

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 12:48:42 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Badcock" <peter.badcock@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 5:33 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Books on lighting techniques

Further to the recent thread on skin tones, I am trying to decide between
purchasing one of the following two books. If anybody has either of them,
would you be able to give me your opinion on the book?

1. "Matters of Light & Depth" by Ross Lowell, *
http://tinyurl.com/lpdpn*
2. "Painting with light" by John Alton, *http://tinyurl.com/np28h*

regards
Peter

Definitely get _Painting With Light_. I don't know the other book and it may also be a good one. Alton was an Academy Award winning director of photography. His book is the only one I have ever seen that was written by a working Hollywood D.P. The book was out of print for many years but was re-issued in paperback form at very reasonable prices.

---