[pure-silver] Re: Anti Newton glass negative carriers

  • From: Peter De Smidt <pdesmidt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 12:15:37 -0500

Michiel Fokkema wrote:
Save yourself a lot of frustration and go for the AN glass. It will prevent newton rings. You'll only need it on the top side because the top side of the negative is smooth while the downside is rough because of the emulsion..

Although some films, such as TMX, have very shiny emulsion sides. Howard Bond, for example, uses AN glass for both the top and bottom glass plates. I know this sounds like a bad idea, with a texture between the negative and the lens, but it's not necessarily bad. For example, I have a Screen Cezanne scanner, a $30,000 (when new in 2000) pre-press scanner. It's scan bed has a very, very fine anti-newton texture on it. Convinced that this was a bad idea, I made a custom bed with optical glass. The scanner has a maximum optical sample size of 5300 spi, and this produces a scan from 4x5 negatives that would make prints much bigger than I'd ever do in a regular darkroom. The upshot was there was no difference in resolution between the scans made with the anti-newton tray or the optical glass tray. There were Newton's rings, though, with the optical glass, and this was with the emulsion side on the glass. So my conclusion is that high quality Anti-Newton glass could be used under the emulsion side of negatives with no reduction in resolution as long as the print size was less than 50" x 60".