[pure-silver] Re: Alkali Fix - How to Mix

  • From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 17:14:58 -0400

DEAR RICHARD,

            Thanks for the thorough reply.  Yes, I know about the
instability of Ammonium Thiosulfate which, in addition to the shipping, duty
and vat, is reason I don't import it to my nice warm humid island home!  I
have LOTZA hypo and can easily get ammonium chloride here which is why I
asked.

            I recall from my photographic chemistry courses at RIT with Dr.
Ron Francis that ammonia was an effective silver halide complexing agent
(like hypo) but, for very obvious reasons, working with ammonia can be a
little less pleasant than hypo! ;-)) Perhaps the ammonium ion in solution
contributes to improved fixing and, who knows, there may be some interactive
effect between the thiosulfate and ammonium ion that accelerates the fixing.
That would be my guess (without digging out the old notebooks and texts).

                        CHEERS!

                                    BOB