[pure-silver] Re: Alkali Fix - How to Mix

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 09:33:37 -0400

August 28, 2007, from Lloyd Erlick,

It distresses me to see the contention that there is no reason to use
alkaline or neutral fixer.

My reason for using a non-acid fix is elimination of two important sources
of darkroom odour (and danger, too, especially if one has respiratory
compromise) -- sulfur dioxide and hydrogen sulfide.

By suspending use of acid in my darkroom (no acid stop, no acid fix) I have
eliminated both of these darkroom irritants. Eliminated. I have modest
darkroom ventilation (probably like most people) but it is not responsible
for protecting me from sulfur dioxide and hydrogen sulfide. Much better
than great big fans is -- no sulfur dioxide and hydrogen sulfide.

This is not a small thing for me. Either of these gases in the smallest
amount stops me cold. I don't have asthma, I just hate them irrationally.

Having a darkroom with a normal atmosphere is extremely important, and a
very good reason to use non-acid darkroom processing methods.

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
website: www.heylloyd.com