[pure-silver] Aging Eyes and Weighty Cameras

  • From: "Stein" <rstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 22:43:49 +0900

Dear Chris and all others in the audience,

I have been chastised around here for being a photographic dinosaur - a criticism I treat with disdain, merely lashing the offender with my massive armoured tail and stomping off into the underbrush. I reinforced my prejudices this evening by spending three hours in the darkroom printing photos from a September holiday. Settled on whole plate size from 35mm negatives as the best compromise of size and grain.

The camera selected for the holiday was a Voigtlander R3A - one lens and a pocket full of Porta 160VC. Film chosen because I had the paid-for leftovers of several weddings - camera chosen to see if the Nokton lens was up to paid work. In a word - yes.

In the quest for detailed large negs I use HB 6x6 cameras and studio Linhofs. Wedding work on Nikon F3. All fine gear and the negs all one could desire, but the weight of a full HB wedding coverage....even with my servant Igor hauling the caisson and entrenching tools, it has been a real saga. Of late, the old eyes do not focus as well on a screen as they did....

I think I shall shift to the Voigtlander system in the field. Bodies are cheap, I have the 21,40, and 75 lenses, and synch is up to 1/125th. I shall not have to take a baseplate off to reload the camera in the middle of a ceremony, and I will have a magazine of 36 shots instead of 12.

Studio will still be the big guns, but there I have a stand to do the hefting and the distance between the camera and the model can be fixed by stapling the model to the floor.

Now - put the sabre-tooth tiger out for the night and off to bed in the swamp.

Uncle Dickosaurus