[pure-silver] Re: APX400, flatness, old glass

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:13:56 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: <genej2@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 7:23 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: APX400, flatness, old glass

Hi Richard,

I was going to post at the bottom like usually do, but Cox webmail won't let me!

Anyway, I think you'll really enjoy that camera with a roll back. It's light and portable and with the rangefinder, relatively fast and convenient. I have the remains of a mini-Speed Graphic sitting on the shelf(no back, nofp shutter), and a little Medalist Heliar that's doing no good to anyone, and I think they need to meet. If that works as well as I hope, I may find a mini Pressman and do the same thing with a 150mm Voigtlander Heliar that's also been in retirement in a drawer for way too long. Now that I know that at least one of my 6x9 backs does a really good job of keeping my film flat, they will make great outdoor and travel cameras. A friend of mine just bought an RZ with a lens and a back for 500 bucks, which isn't chump change, but I agree, what a camera. Soooooo versatile. As far as the old school film goes, I kinda agree with you but for one exception; Efke 25 or whatever they're calling it now. That stuff is just lovely. Otherwise, Indoors, under hot light
s, I've used HP5, Neopan 400, and now APX and love them all.

Gene

The Medalist lens was also sold in slightly modified form for small press cameras. The Medalist lens is 100mm, f/3.5, the stand alone is 107mm, f/3.7, the smaller maximum aperture being due to the aperture limit of the shutter. The design is due to Fred Altman and is one of a series of lenses based on his patented design. Others include the 50mm and 75mm Enlarging Ektars, a medium wide angle lens for the Ektra camera, and a couple of high definition lenses for microfilm work. Altman's patent is interesting because he claims to use the design for correcting rim rays to improve the performance of the lens at large apertures (USP 2,279,384). The original Heliar patent is USP 716,035, and his modified version USP 765,006. Another lens of this general type is the Dallmeyer Pentac, of Lionel Booth, USP USP 1,421,156. Each of the subsequent patents claims some different approach to the same basic arrangement. The Kodak lenses are reputed to be excellent.
---