[pure-silver] Re: APX400, flatness, old glass

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 14:01:25 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Reynolds" <reynolds@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 8:58 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: APX400, flatness, old glass

genej2@xxxxxxx wrote:

I was using an old 3x4 RB Graflex with a graflex 2 1/4 x 3 1/4
rollfilm back. This back is unfortunately one without the extra
flattening rollers and I've just learned the hard way that those are
important. Didn't ruin the pictures. We were going for "soft and
dreamy" anyway. But I didn't have sharp eyelashes and I had to know
why. The old back produced a film bulge all the way down the center
of the frame of about 1mm. I checked my other graflex 6x9 back with
the rollers and it was about .1mm. My Mamiya RB back was
essentially dead flat. I really like the camera, so I'm trying to
figure out how to get the film flatter. Might have to add my own
rollers.

You might want to check with SK Grimes <http://www.skgrimes.com/>. In
their "What's New! => New Now" section they mention that they are now
set up to add rollers to older Graflex 6x7 and 6x9 rollfilm backs. I
have no idea what they would charge for this, but they did some nice
work for me on a Lee Filter lens hood adapter and some other bits and
pieces a while ago.

--
Brian Reynolds | "It's just like flying a spaceship.

I have had problems with film flatness using sheet film in a miniature Speed Graphic. The holders I have are old but check out for proper film position. The film is from Freestyle, one of their house brands. After repeated checking of the holders and ground glass position in the camera I came to the conclusion that this film does not sit flat in the holders. I can partially confirm this by simply observing the film, it does not sit against the plenum but rather bows out in the center. I do have a late model roll holder but its intended for use in a Graflok back and I will have to modify the camera back a little to accept it. Most Graflok accessories can be accomodated in the older Graphic spring backs by replacing the ground glass panel with a couple of spring brackets but in this case the holder itself will not clear the edges of the back.

---