[pure-silver] Re: AN Glass Effect on Sharpness

  • From: Myron Gochnauer <goch@xxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 11:56:28 -0300

I haven't done the test to confirm my suspicion that there would be an impact on the image if AN glass were immediately below the emulsion...

But before you do that, what about putting a thin "frame" on the clear glass so that the negative isn't pressed onto the smooth surface?

I have a 4x5 glass carrier for my Saunders enlarger, with AN glass on top and regular glass on the bottom. I use it for 35mm and 120 as well as 4x5. In order to position the smaller negatives in the center of the glass, I made cut-out masks from black Bristol board (and sprayed them with polyurethane to reduce the likelihood of dust). The mask goes on the clear glass, the negative on the mask, and the AN glass presses it all together. The slight thickness of the Bristol board might be enough to forestall Newton's rings. It's worth a try. I don't use color film, so I can't say if it will work.

Myron

On May 30, 2009, at 11:29 AM, Elias Roustom wrote:

Hi All,

I think this question is for all the optics aficionados here:
My enlarger uses AN glass above the neg, and clear glass below. With my b&w Rollei negs this works very well, but with color negs not well at all. Even though the emulsion side is in contact with the clear glass, I still get rings. I'm thinking of getting another piece of AN glass for below the neg. (emulsion side). Will that have any effect on the projection, and the resulting print?

Thanks,

Elias
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = ====================================================================== To unsubscribe from this list, go to www.freelists.org and logon to your account (the same e-mail address and password you set-up when you subscribed,) and unsubscribe from there.