[pure-silver] Re: ADV: Un-spotting help please

  • From: Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 08:35:57 -0400

On 07/03/2013 10:43 PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>     I think this must be huile de paraffine, which is what is called
> mineral oil in the U.S. A light viscosity water clear oil used for a
> variety of medicinal purposes and sometimes as a lubricant in machinery.
>     A number of substances were sold for reducing the visibility of
> scratchs on negatives.  I've never tried mineral oil but it might work.
> I can't remember the name of the suff used in motion picture wet gate
> printers but it was hazardous and evaporated too fast for still work.

I do not know first hand, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that
it was carbon tetrachloride. Whatever it was, it must not dissolve the
film base. I do not think they used mylar in movie film, probably
acetate after they stopped using nitrate based films.

  /V\  PGP-Key:3EDBB65E 9A2FC99A Registered Machine  1935521.
 ^^-^^ 08:30:01 up 23 days, 10:16, 3 users, load average: 4.36, 4.46, 4.35