[pure-silver] Re: A STORY FROM THE PASTRe: Film Photography Podcast: Ilford Factory Tour

  • From: Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas <octabod@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 10:36:13 +0200

Having used Kodak, Ilford, Fuji, and many other brands since I can remember,
which means since mid 70's, I still had to see such QC fail in the three big
names. I've had, with all and exceptionally, minor issues like a tiny coating
defect in a frame/sheet, or a exceptionally thin base (with fuji) which
presumably leaded to an accident while loading the reel, but nothing that
ruined the shot. Yours was a case of truly bad luck which justifies your
prevention.

On the other hand, with "minor" brands I've seen everything, from broken black
bags inside the box fogging the whole stack, to broken sprockets holes, and
even ugly scratches in sheet film.

On 24/04/2015, at 20:59, bobkiss @caribsurf.com wrote:

One might assume that the QC at Ilford is better now but, there is
that word again, assume, which I just can't do! They make lovely films but
I will continue to test.

I feel better, to hell with photography, art, women, and all
E. Weston, 1924