[pure-silver] Re: 4x5" daylight processing tank for sale

  • From: Helge Nareid <hn.groups@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 21:32:32 +0100

I have quite a bit of experience with Combi-Plan tanks. On the whole, I can't recommend them. If you use them as daylight processing tanks, they take far too long to fill and empty, and there are persistent flow patterns which _will_ show up on your negatives.

The best results I got with Combi-Plan tanks was when I used them for dark processing, using a series of tanks each pre-filled with the appropriate solution (for intermediate washes I used simpler and less costly containers), changing between tanks in the dark. You can fit the light-proof lid during each processing step for inversion agitation, as long as you transfer the film racks in the dark. Even when doing this, it is very easy to get tracks of flow patterns around the top and bottom clips, and along the sides of the film racks. I found the best way to minimize those was by using a pre-whetting bath containing a very dilute Photo-Flo solution prior to the developer (about 1:1000 for Photo-Flo 200).

The best small tank option I've used with sheet film is the Jobo 4500 series tank, used with a Jobo rotary processor. The pre-whetting helped there as well.

- The Horrible Helge

----- Original Message ----- From: "shannon Stoney" <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>