RE: wireless chip

  • From: "Jamie Cuthbertson" <jamie.cuthbertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ptr1-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 19:31:58 -0000

Hi Brian,

Firstly, apologies if I'm double checking this unnecessarily but the
following reply relates to the PRS (Plextalk Recording Software) which you
would have got as part of your bundle when you got your PTR2.  It's not the
same utility programme that I mentioned in my earlier reply - that's
something quite different.  As long as this is what you are talking about,
the following is true.

Essentially, projects that you create using the PRS software, assuming that
you have run the "Build book" process, are able to be played on any DAISY
compatible player as the software creates fully compatible DAISY 2.02
output.  The "Build book" process converts the project into the finished
product, changing a number of file names at this time.  If you don't run the
"Build book" process, I think the projects will still play on the Pocket
PTP1 but not on players created by other manufacturers e.g. Victor Stream or
BookSense.

One thing that people often forget is that to install or uninstall the
software, either the PTR1 or PTR2 needs to be connected to the computer at
that time.  Other than this, you can create DAISY projects to your heart's
content and use them on whichever DAISY device you want to play them on.
For folks who only have a Pocket PTP1, however, they will not be able to
install the PRS software as it needs to be a PTR1 or PTR2 that is connected
to the computer and not a Pocket PTP1 because the PRS is not included in
this package.

In terms of your question about the differences between the PRS software and
the PRS Pro, I am not fully up-to-date on this and I'm sure you could
probably get a full list of features somewhere on the Plextalk website.
Having said that, I think that the PRS Pro can be installed independently
and it does not have the same restrictions relating to the hardware being
connected at installation.  I think it also has facilities for automatically
breaking up a recording into specified chunks of audio for subsequent
download onto audio cassette.  Obviously there is less and less need for
this now but it is quite handy if you are an information provider with a
variety of customer needs.  Other than this, you'd be best to refer to the
website.

If I'm wrong about any of the above, hopefully someone from Plextor will
jump in and correct me.

All the best.

Jamie