[pskmail] Re: *Update server* for test

  • From: Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 14:41:20 +0200

Great,
Just one question: Will this update break the 1.5.9 client?
What I mean is that we have finally reached a stable state with client 1.5.9 and server 1.7.1. Will this mean that 1.5.9 will no longer work with updated servers? If so then I think we need to discuss separating the experimental and stable networks.

73 de Per

Rein Couperus skrev 2012-06-07 14:35:
The update server procedure for test. You can invoke it by
hitting menu->link->update server or just crtl-u:

<quote>
/PI4TUE 1.8.0-9:22:51-IM1637>/
/Failed to get your email, pse upload correct email settings./
/
/
/Receiving record/
/
/
/Updated database for PA0R-4/
/
/
/=>>5,22a428e1f2f121fc8ac98d574226a07f20a66c/
/Session password changed!/
</quote>

The 'setpassword' and 'update server' routines have been merged.
To change a password just set a new one on the client and re-update the server.
The server caches the mail record until you reset it (with ctrl-r).

**Test versions of server (1.8.0) and client (2.0.14) implementing this
have been uploaded to the download site.**

<Explanation for newbies>
/Why all this hassle with passwords?/
/PSKmail has been optimized for narrow band operation, which means it has /
/to be very efficient with its protocols./
/To prevent the client from having to upload the mail data record again for /
/every session, the server caches the data./
/The drawback of this scheme is that everybody connecting the server using your / /callsign can get your mail (userid and password are cached on the server)./ /To prevent this the client and server exchange session cookies, which only /
/succeeds if you have set the right secret password on the client./
/The servers do not exchange mail records, and there is no central database./ /When you are very paranoid, you could set a different password for each server you use./
</Explanation for newbies>

--
http://pa0r.blogspirit.com

--