[pskmail] Re: *Update server* for test

  • From: Ian Bennett <ibennett@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 08:43:27 +1000

Gents,
To say I'm not amused is an understatement. Continual tinkering around upsetting compatibility and stability is only going to alienate the few users you have and won't assist your cause at attracting new ones. I hope to confirm this weekend a stable server/client combination and once I do, I won't be changing. If that means I don't interoperate with anyone else, then so be it. The "odd" features and lack of documentation is a continual source of frustration.

Ian
VK1IAN

On 07/06/12 22:41, Pär Crusefalk wrote:
Great,
Just one question: Will this update break the 1.5.9 client?
What I mean is that we have finally reached a stable state with client
1.5.9 and server 1.7.1.
Will this mean that 1.5.9 will no longer work with updated servers? If
so then I think we need to discuss separating the experimental and
stable networks.

73 de Per

Rein Couperus skrev 2012-06-07 14:35:
The update server procedure for test. You can invoke it by
hitting menu->link->update server or just crtl-u:

<quote>
/PI4TUE 1.8.0-9:22:51-IM1637>/
/Failed to get your email, pse upload correct email settings./
/
/
/Receiving record/
/
/
/Updated database for PA0R-4/
/
/
/=>>5,22a428e1f2f121fc8ac98d574226a07f20a66c/
/Session password changed!/
</quote>

The 'setpassword' and 'update server' routines have been merged.
To change a password just set a new one on the client and re-update
the server.
The server caches the mail record until you reset it (with ctrl-r).

**Test versions of server (1.8.0) and client (2.0.14) implementing this
have been uploaded to the download site.**

<Explanation for newbies>
/Why all this hassle with passwords?/
/PSKmail has been optimized for narrow band operation, which means it
has /
/to be very efficient with its protocols./
/To prevent the client from having to upload the mail data record
again for /
/every session, the server caches the data./
/The drawback of this scheme is that everybody connecting the server
using your /
/callsign can get your mail (userid and password are cached on the
server)./
/To prevent this the client and server exchange session cookies, which
only /
/succeeds if you have set the right secret password on the client./
/The servers do not exchange mail records, and there is no central
database./
/When you are very paranoid, you could set a different password for
each server you use./
</Explanation for newbies>

Mobile: +46703784299