[pskmail] Re: U.S.A Server

  • From: Ed <autek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 11:14:54 -0500

Steven Pituch wrote:
Hi Ed and all,
The new iso file works good.  I loaded it on my laptop and it loaded nicely,
but I need to use that one for work, so I have cobbled together a desktop
from old parts.  It is a P III, 1.0 gHz, 512 mB ram, and 30 mb HD.

HHHMM wish I had some of your "old" parts. Should be more than enough.

I think we should try on the same frequency as the EU hams, 10,148 mHz.  We
can take turns being a server during the holidays.

I think about 10.146 just in case the propagation is good, that way we would not interfere with the EU servers.

I have questions on booting and partitionaing.  Can I normally boot to
Windows but at times boot to Linux on another partition?  Also how does one
load the Linux image onto a hard disk?

A dual-boot system is very common, and Linux normally takes care of setting it up with no problems.

I think Per has included a install option. You will want to install Win first, if you are comfortable with partioning you can let Win set up 15 gig Win partion and leave the other 15 as free space. After you have installed Win, then you will want to install Linux. It will ask you if it can use the remaining free space, I would answer yes. It is pretty straight forward to install Linux....very few questions need answered. It should ask you for a user name and password, as well as one for root. Either write them down, or make them easily remembered and they all must be different. If the live CD works on your machine, then it will work as a full install.

Don't be afraid to ask questions...we all did and we all still do.

HTH

Ed W3NR

Regards,
Steve, W2MY