[pskmail] Re: PSK125 running well...

  • From: Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 17:12:10 +0100

Hi all,

We had a party here so I couldn't follow the entire qso you had using
psk125, the parts I did see looked fast indeed. Slashdot came through in
just a few transmissions and I saw just one retransmission.
Yes, speedup and speeddown would be something. It seems to me anyway
that psk125 is desireable at least when the condx is as good as what we
had this afternoon. We could have gone faster still, but I'm not sure
about what happens if the band starts to act up. Will we "gain" 3 dB or
so by reducing speed and selecting psk63 when the s/n is not as good?

Should we do that the pactor way ? By that I mean that we start in a
slow mode and stations tell each other what mode they are capable of.
If two stations say "1" then they are only capable of psk63 and speedup
is ruled out. If one station says "2" and the other "3" then they could
speedup to psk125 ? A number of successive frames should mean a speedup,
but both parties have to agree (as there is no autobaud in the modem).
A number of retransmissions should mean speeddown of course.

Or, should we control fldigi and set certain modes during certain
scanning periods ? One cycle psk63 and one psk125 ? It would certainly
be easier to implement but also less adaptive.

One thing that looked good was fldigi, do you feel that we should move
to fldigi instead of gmfsk? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

73 de Per, sm0rwo